This scheme encourages undertakings including start-ups, family businesses, and self-employed to invest in their business, so as to innovate, expand, and develop their operations. Undertakings benefiting from this measure will be supported through a tax credit calculated as a percentage of eligible expenditure and wages costs.
Who Is Eligible?
This incentive is open to all undertakings which satisfy the following criteria;
- The applicant must be an undertaking that for a consecutive three month period during the year in which the costs were incurred did not employ more than thirty persons on full-time contracts
- The applicant must be an undertaking whose turnover did not exceed €10 Million in the fiscal year preceding the year in which the application is submitted.
- At the date of application, the applicant must employ at least one person on a full or part-time basis.
- Unless exempted, applicants should be duly registered with the VAT department.
- Persons or undertakings engaged in activities specifically excluded under the de minimis regulations are not eligible for this incentive.
What is the aid intensity?
Malta Enterprise will approve a tax credit equivalent to 45% of eligible expenditure. An additional bonus of 20% that is, a total of 65% tax credit applies to undertakings operating from Gozo.
- The maximum aid per undertaking.
- Operating from Gozo;
- Registered as a Family Business; and
- Having more than 50% of the ownership attributed to female persons.
In the case of partnerships, the eligible amount will be split according to ownership.
- Costs claimed must have been invoiced between 1st January and 31st December of the year preceding the year in which the claim is submitted.
- Costs claimed must not be assisted (even partly) through other incentive measures.
- Costs claimed must be covered by the appropriate fiscal documentation.
Costs incurred in relation to the following items will not be considered as qualifying;
- Purchase of land and/or property.
- Acquisition of works of art, antiques, and any assets that are not directly related to the trade and business of the applicant.
- Operating costs.
- VAT and other recoverable taxes.
- Vehicle accessories and upgrades unless purchased as an integral part of a commercial vehicle.
- Vehicles that because of their nature can also be used for non-business activities.
- Director’s fees.
- Maintenance costs.
- Subscription and other renewal fees.
- Any individual invoice having a value of less than €200.
- Costs of rented or leased equipment or property.
- Furbishing costs carried out in home-based offices unless a permit identifying the premises as business premises is presented.
- Project Management fees.
- Transport costs unless included within an invoice covering the procurement of an eligible cost item.
- Promotional material.
- Intellectual Property.
- Web Hosting.
Visit our Grant Scheme online Brochure
T: +356 2148 4373, +356 2149 3041
S: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Linkedin
A: 15, Level 3, Mannarino Road, Birkirkara, Malta
A: 35, Mannarino Road, Birkirkara BKR9080, Malta
B: Doing Business in Malta Brochure