Research and Development
The aim of this incentive is to assist undertakings that carry out Industrial Research and Experimental Development required for the acquisition of knowledge leading to the development of innovative products and solutions.
This will be active until 31st December 2020.
Visit our Grant Scheme Brochure: here
The following costs are considered as eligible as long as they are incurred in relation to an approved Industrial Research or Experimental Development project after the ‘start of works:
- Personnel costs
- Instruments and equipment
- Contractual research, technical knowledge, and patents
- Other operating expenses
Undertakings planning to carry out Industrial Research or Experimental Development projects are eligible to apply for assistance under this incentive. In order to be eligible, applicants must additionally satisfy the following criteria. They must be either:
- Partnership constituted under the Companies Act4, being a partnership or a limited liability company; or
- A body of persons constituted, incorporated or registered outside Malta and of a nature similar to the aforesaid partnerships and registered as an overseas company in accordance with the Companies Act; or
- Be duly registered as a co-operative society
Undertakings established in Malta may benefit from assistance in the form of a cash grant covering wage costs capped at €500,000 per annum per project and tax credits for other eligible costs.
Maximum aid intensities
- Industrial Research and Experimental Development Projects: Small undertaking 45%, medium undertaking 35%, large undertaking 25%
- Collaborative Industrial Research and Experimental development Projects: Small undertaking 60%, medium undertaking 50%, large undertaking 40%