Malta Citizenship and Immigration Solutions
Malta extends a diverse array of citizenship and residence programs tailored to attract high-net-worth individuals seeking opportunities and benefits in this idyllic Mediterranean nation. These programs are designed to cater to various needs and preferences, providing distinct pathways for those looking to invest, reside, or retire in Malta.
Seeking assistance? Please complete this brief survey to expedite our support: Take Survey
Here are the key programs:
The Global Residence Program, often referred to as GRP, offers a unique avenue for high-net-worth individuals to establish residence in Malta. Under this program, participants can benefit from a host of advantages, including favorable tax treatment and access to the European Union. The GRP is especially attractive for individuals and families looking to experience Malta's rich culture and economic opportunities while enjoying a Mediterranean lifestyle.
Malta provides an exceptional opportunity for individuals who have made substantial contributions to the nation in various fields. Through this program, high-net-worth individuals can be granted Maltese citizenship in recognition of their outstanding services and commitment to the country. The eligibility criteria are stringent, and candidates are carefully evaluated, making this a prestigious pathway to Maltese citizenship.
The Permanent Residency Program, also known as MPRP, offers a pathway for individuals seeking long-term residence in Malta. Participants can enjoy the benefits of living in a safe and stable environment, access to top-quality healthcare and education, and the opportunity to travel within the Schengen Area. The MPRP provides a flexible solution for those who wish to make Malta their second home.
Malta: Retirement Programme (MRP)
Malta's Retirement Programme is designed to cater to retirees looking for a peaceful and welcoming environment to spend their retirement years. This program offers a tax-efficient way for retirees to enjoy the Mediterranean lifestyle, world-class healthcare, and the island's rich cultural heritage. Eligible participants can benefit from a significantly reduced tax rate, making it an attractive choice for retirees seeking financial ease and an enjoyable retirement experience.
These programs collectively make Malta an appealing destination for high-net-worth individuals who value both the economic and lifestyle aspects that this beautiful island nation has to offer. Whether it's establishing residence, contributing to the nation, securing permanent residency, or retiring in style, Malta's citizenship and residence programs provide a spectrum of opportunities to meet diverse aspirations.
Why Malta? Please refer to the Chinese introduction
Malta, one of the world's smallest nations, is nestled in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea, strategically positioned between Europe and Africa. Its history has seen rule by major world powers, including the Arabs, the Knights of St John, the French, and the British, who held colonial sway for about two centuries. Malta gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1964 and became a republic in 1974. After years of negotiations, Malta joined the European Union in 2004 and is now a part of the Schengen Agreement. In 2008, Malta adopted the Euro as its currency, replacing the former Maltese Lira.
Some facts about Malta: Please see the Chinese introduction
- Economy: Malta’s 2021 GDP €17.36bn
- Languages: Maltese, English
- Capital City: Valletta
- Population:535,064 as of 2023
- Maltese Passport: 4th strongest in the world
- In 2017, a surplus of €9,000,000 was registered in the consolidated fund (after 35 years); FITCH recently confirmed Malta’s credit rating of ‘A+’ with a stable outlook;
- Standard & Poor’s upgrades Malta to an ‘A’ rating from its previous BBB+ rating, forecasting the Maltese economy to continue growing
- International Monetary fund concluded that Malta is one of the fastest-growing economies in Europe
- Unemployment is one of the lowest rates within the EU
- Business Insider ranks Malta 6th in the world – in the best quality of life in the World for Expatriates (Leisure Options, Personal Happiness, Travel and Transport, Health and Well-being & Safety and Security)
- Health Care: Highly reputed, ranked 5th globally
- Trip Advisor’s 2017 Traveler’s Choice Awards ranks Malta in Top 25 Destinations beating Rome, London and others;
- More than 2,000,000 tourists visited Malta & Gozo in 2016, hence the attractiveness if the Islands;
- More than seventy double taxation treaties;
- Malta ranking 2nd out of the 67 countries Expats Destination – InterNations;
- Valletta Cruise Port named top-rated Mediterranean Cruise Destination
Throughout the years Malta established itself as a tourist haven as well as an international hub for business. High in the ranks of what has flourished most in foreign direct investment terms, one finds the Financial services sector, the iGaming industry, ICT, and Aviation.
Malta offers a wide range of citizenship and residence programs to on-looking high-net-worth individuals.
As employees are an inherent and vital component of our clients' daily operations, we have gained expertise in addressing the intricacies that arise regularly, offering customized solutions to meet their needs.
Our comprehensive services encompass:
- Reviewing and drafting service agreements.
- Managing payroll and bookkeeping services.
- Compiling, drafting, and reviewing the documentation required for Single Permit Applications.
- Facilitating the registration of PE Numbers for clients seeking to employ new recruits.
- Preparing, drafting, and reviewing the documentation required for Residence Permit or Maltese ID, as applicable.
Tax Planning in Malta Please see the Chinese introduction
Investing in Malta brings several benefits, with the full imputation tax regime being a key advantage. Despite its small size, Malta offers the following fiscal perks:
- European Union Membership: As a proud member of the European Union, Malta provides access to EU Directives.
- Extensive Double Tax Treaties: Malta boasts a wide network of double tax treaties (over 65 DTTs).
- Tax Refund Mechanism: Through the application of this refund mechanism, the overall tax burden in Malta can be effectively reduced to as low as 0% to 10%.
- Full Imputation System: This system ensures that dividends are taxed only once, and any taxes paid by the company on its profits are fully imputed to the shareholders.
- Participation Exemption: Malta offers an exemption from tax on dividend income.
- Royalties: There is no withholding tax on the repatriation of dividends, interest, and royalties.
Investment Success Stories in Malta
Malta has attracted over 250 foreign companies that have made significant investments in the country, leading to their successful operations:
- In 2015, Shanghai Power Electric invested a substantial 320 million Euros.
- Notable companies like Lufthansa, HSBC, Microsoft, Banif, Baxter, Combino Pharm, ST Microelectronics, and Playmobil have established successful operations in Malta.
- 2016 witnessed substantial investments, including Huawei Research & Development (5 million Euros), Barts Medical School (200 million Euros), and US Crane Currency (100 million Euros).
- Malta boasts 76 double taxation treaties with third countries.
- It holds the largest ship register in the European Union, offering excellent opportunities in the booming construction industry.
- Malta has emerged as a prominent i-Gaming Hub with robust legislation.
- It is rapidly becoming a key player in the global financial services industry.
- The new aviation park is poised to position Malta as a leader in the aircraft maintenance industry.
- Hollywood has also found a home in Malta, with government incentives supporting the Filming Industry, hosting productions like Troy, The Da Vinci Code, Alexander, By the Sea, World War Z, and Clash of the Titans.
Malta – A Regional Hub for Strategic Investments and Business Operations
- Simplified business establishment procedures.
- Strategic positioning in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Business-friendly government facilitating access to key decision-makers.
- Presence of international finance centers.
- Robust ICT infrastructure.
- Attractive corporate tax structures.
- A workforce known for strong work ethics and high productivity.
- Convenient access to strong diplomatic and trade ties with North Africa and the Middle East.
- Malta serves as a vital logistics hub.
- Thriving film industry opportunities.
Why PKF Malta?
PKF is an international organisation with over 488 offices, operating in 150 countries across five regions. We specialise in Audit & Assurance, tax, advisory services and internal audit insurance.
Your reliable Service Provider in Malta for:
- Audit & Assurance
- Accredited Agents for all Malta Immigration Programs
- Company Formation
- Business Advisory
- Aircraft & yacht registrations
- Corporate and Taxation Advice
- Surveys, Statistics & Mathematics
- Trustee & Fiduciary Services
How PKF Malta can help:
- PKF Malta is vested together with its partners to make this process for you and your family, as simple as possible. PKF Malta will accompany you throughout the entire process and make sure that your citizenship by investment program is an enjoyable, successful and smooth route.
- Seeking assistance? Please complete this brief survey to expedite our support: Take Survey